Mature Driver Courses
Mature driver courses are specialized driving courses designed for older adults to improve their driving skills, knowledge, and safety. As we age, our driving abilities change, and we may develop certain medical conditions that affect our driving. Taking a mature driver course can help refresh your driving skills, learn new techniques, and boost your confidence behind the wheel.
What is a Mature Driver?
A mature driver is typically defined as someone over the age of 55 who has been driving for a long time. With age, drivers may experience changes in vision, hearing, reaction time, and other factors that can impact their driving. These changes may require drivers to adjust their driving habits and learn new techniques to remain safe on the road. A mature driver course can help older adults address these changes and stay safe while driving.
Types of Mature Driver Courses
There are several types of mature driver courses available, including:
- AAA mature driver course: The American Automobile Association (AAA) offers a course for mature drivers that covers defensive driving techniques, road safety, and more.
- AARP senior driver course: AARP offers a course for drivers over the age of 55 that covers defensive driving techniques, rules of the road, and the effects of aging on driving.
- Mature Driver Tune-Up course: This is a course offered by Mature Driver Tune Up, a provider of online mature driver education. It covers topics such as defensive driving, road safety, and the effects of aging on driving and has not tests to pass.
California mature driver course
- In California, mature drivers can take the DMV mature driver course to improve their driving skills and knowledge of traffic laws. To take the course, you must be at least 55 years old and hold a valid California driver's license.
Benefits of taking a mature driver course
Taking a mature driver course can provide several benefits, including:
- Savings on senior auto insurance: Many insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who complete a mature driver course.
- Improved driving skills and safety: Mature driver courses can help you stay up-to-date on the latest road safety practices and improve your driving skills.
- Renewed confidence behind the wheel: A mature driver course can help boost your confidence behind the wheel and make you feel more comfortable driving
Cost of mature driver courses
Cost of Mature Driver Courses
The cost of mature driver courses varies depending on the course provider, location, and course format. Online courses are generally more affordable than in-person courses. The costs of the different courses are:
- AAA mature driver course: $20 to $30
- AARP senior driver course: $20 to $30 for online courses; $20 to $50 for in-person courses
- Mature Driver Tune-Up course: $15 to $18
Duration of Mature Driver Courses
The duration of mature driver courses varies depending on the course provider and format. Online courses are usually self-paced and can take a few hours to complete, while in-person courses can last up to eight hours. The duration of the different courses are:
- AAA mature driver course: 4 to 8 hours
- AARP senior driver course: 4 to 8 hours
- Mature Driver Tune-Up course: 4 to 6 hours
Tests and Certificates
Most nationwide providers of mature driver courses require a final test to pass and obtain a certificate of completion. The certificate is usually valid for up to three years. The Mature Driver Tune-Up course does do not require you to pass a final test, but the AARP senior driver course and the AAA course do.
Taking a mature driver course is a smart!